Register at the event!
Registration opens at 9 am at Durango Nordic Center.
10k – $15
5k – $10
Kids Snowdash – FREE!
Racing starts at 10 am. Race start choreography:
- 10k Start
- Five minutes after 10k Start: 5k Start
- We’ll see about a Kids’ SnoDash!
Registration, awards, and prizes all at Durango Nordic Center.
What IS A Snow-Traction Race?
Up until now, The Winter Warrior has been known as a Snowshoe Race – which, of course, it still is –
yet, with Climate Change (aka; Global Warming) we’ve already had a few super-lean snow years for the Winter Warrior making snowshoes a poor choice (running in snowshoes across dirt/rocks/streams is NOT super fun, trust me! I once ran a 10k in snowshoes in totally dry, rocky conditions during my “Snow-or-No” race in Flagstaff!).
So, revamping The Winter Warrior as a Snow-Traction Race, allows racers to make their own call on Race Day given the snow-coverage or…lack thereof!
The following Snow Traction choices are all accepted and have, over the years, included:
- Running Shoes with aggressive tread (i.e; Salomon’s Super Cross®)
- Running Shoes with ‘snow crampons’ ranging from light duty (i.e. YakTrax®, or Kahtoola NanoSpikes®) to medium duty (i.e. Kahtoola MicroSpikes®)
- Snowshoes with Running Shoe-compatible bindings
- Direct-mount Snowshoes
I recall one year, a male member of the Durango Youth Nordic Ski Team spontaneously decided to run the full 10k distance of The Winter Warrior…wearing his Nordic Skate Ski boots!!
And he finished really well! Ha!
If you have any questions or need guidance on snowshoe or snow-traction models, let me know!
See YOU on the Start Line!